Finally, the big day has arrived. All the paperwork has gone through and you have the keys in your hand.
Moving into your new home should be the exciting and easy part, right? Some people rate moving houses as one of the most stressful experiences you can go through, but if you get yourself organised in advance and keep it flexible on the day, moving will go with a breeze. Follow these tips and you’ll be cracking open that bottle of sparkling at the end of day to congratulate yourself on a job well done.
- Throw away, recycle or donate all your unwanted items in advance. You’ll be amazed at how much easier it will be to pack (and unpack) when you’re not taking all that junk with you
- Book the removalist and boxes in advance. Once this is done, you have a schedule to work towards and your move is imminent.
- Make note of all the mail you get and gradually change your address with all your received mail.
- Clear your schedule for at least a couple of days. If you are moving mid-week, book days off work.
- Pack and label your boxes by room. Resist the temptation to pack similar items together from different rooms.
- Have plenty of stationery equipment – you can never have enough tape, scissor and black marker for moving.
On the day
- Finish packing your boxes before the removalists arrive.
- Have plenty of water and snacks throughout the day. Staying hydrated and energised is essential on moving day. It’s also a good idea to keep some cash handy for unexpected items like taxis and pizza.
- Pack a box or suitcase of items you’ll need for the first night. You don’t want to be trawling through your boxes looking for PJs and a toothbrush.
- Organise the collection of used boxes, either back to the box company or to be recycled.
- Book the cleaner for the day after moving, rather than on the day to give yourself more time to clear everything out.